Monday, July 08, 2019

1141

1141

1141 beautiful miles this last month on the bike up the grueling mountains of SE Asia in the heat and humidity. Sweating out the toxins and bad stuff of a Western diet. It's been great and revealing in a humbling sort of manner. I am not a young man, but I feel much younger (after a few weeks) when I give myself these kinds of limited challenges in short intense periods each year. If you want to get stronger and more flexible, you must push yourself into new areas of accomplishment, no matter how long it takes you. The worst thing you can do to your body is not use it and feed it poorly with calorie-intense-nutrient-deficient food.

I can't duplicate the intensity of these mountains and the temps anywhere else I generally go in the world, and so I can't see the immediate benefits of such rides when I am not in SE Asia. But it sets the standard for the rest of the year. It gives me a peek into what top fitness feels like, what my body experiences when I work it like this day in and day out. It is a pretty spectacular experience for a 57 year old grandpa. Combine those levels of effort, with an Asian diet and the results are astonishing. This is why I keep telling myself that I want to move to Chiang Mai. It's difficult to live astonishing in Eastern Europe,and darn impossible in the USA.