Thursday, June 13, 2019

"We can’t imagine an alternative to work.”

What????

Hunnicutt stated this in an article about the "religion of work." Benjamin Hunnicutt is a professor of leisure studies at the University of Iowa and author of Free Time: The Forgotten American Dream. It is astonishing how many articles and blogs are coming down the pipeline these days, touting the demise of retirement, the abolishment of free time, the need to be working in order to be mentally healthy!

I say astonishing because none of these people can imagine an alternative to work!?! Leisure has gotten a bad rap in the 21st century, and personally I think this is completely bogus. I enjoy my work and I enjoy my leisure, and I enjoy them equally! I also am a much nicer human being because they are about equal in my life. As my daughter said to me, "I like this version of you much better than the one where you worked 80 hours a week." Best part of all was the discovery that each hour of "work" is now far more productive, than all those busy hours were before.

But can I imagine an alternative to work?? Oh heck yes!! There are endless books to read, and blogs to write, and places to visit, and food to try, and drinks to sample and fish to catch . . . oh, that sounds like my life already doesn't it?? My friends I already am smelling the roses! So does that make me one of those rare people who leverages his passions and wants and best contributions to the world into a paycheck?? Probably.

If you can't imagine an alternative to work, you need a better imagination. Tim Ferris would probably recommend some psychedelic drugs at this point, and I would likely suggest some international travel to get you moving out of your mental zipcode so that your imagination could vastly improve. We get an extra 30 years now compared to generations of the past, whatever are you gonna do with that gift?? At the moment I am sitting on my balcony among the flowers, purple, pink, white, reds, and the vista is a grand range of snow capped mountains, with a glass of sparkling water and over 2000 articles waiting in my que to be read and dissected and passed along.