Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Temptation Bundling

Temptation bundling 

James Clear speaks eloquently about temptation bundling in his book “Atomic Habits” as the combination of an activity that you want to do with one you need to do.  I can personally vouch for this habit builder activity. It could even be called a structure builder in my opinion.  And if you want to layer it up even more, add a “not that until this” requirement.

What this looked like for me is that what I want to do is read. I am years behind in my reading lists! What I need to do is exercise. Temptation bundling is combining the two - audiobooks are the way to effortlessly do so. Thus I only allow myself to listen to books while exercising. Period. No exceptions!

Layering it up means that I touch no electronics before I temptation bundle every single day. That means no distractions! It’s icing on the cake!! 

This provides the structure of my production each day. It makes certain that I get the valuable things accomplished in order of their contributions to my daily productivity. I discovered years ago that email is only doing someone else’s priority not my own. Social media is less than useless in terms of my productivity and so boxing that “no electronics “ rule into my life is a huge plus. And of course I do need to correspond with email but it is later in the day action which equals its lower value to my daily productivity.