Saturday, October 12, 2013

Tiger balm is an oxymoron.

Tiger balm is an oxymoron.  Because if you used this stuff on a tiger, it would be anything but a balm, or a calm experience.  Tiger Balm is the Asian equivalent of icy hot (if you are under 50 years old) or Ben Gay (if you are older).  But here, these are all home-made remedies and vary greatly in quality and strength.

Three days ago I hurt my back.  And it wont quit hurting!  So I have been asking my massage therapist to put some Tiger Balm on my back as I am getting my muscles crunched.  The first two days were the seriously tepid variety of Tiger Balm.  I could barely tell she was using anything other than the oil, had it not been for the menthol smell.  Today though, we had an altogether different experience.

I could tell the moment she opened the little bottle that this was not the same stuff she had been using.  Just a few drops and it was like someone napalmed my back!  And then she rubbed it in hard!  And it just got hotter.  She eventually had to go wash her hands, because it was so hot for her!  Then she added a few more drops, and used the edge of a towel to spread it evenly.  I was sweating and melting!  But it was awesome for my back muscles because whatever had been tight was not now.  Then she added a few more drops for good measure.  I sure wish I had some with me right now in this airline seat!