Sunday, December 26, 2010

The $523.00 meal

It was pretty salty to be honest with you. A month ago I would not have noticed, but know I can really tell, since I have been cutting out almost all salt from my diet. The doctor threatened me with death if I did not get my blood pressure under control, but that is a different story altogether.

So as I was saying the tiny bit of meat with three slices of mushrooms on it, surrounded by gravy on one side and pureed potatoes on the other side, was a really expensive and salty meal. Although I must admit they were serving free wine along with it, to enhance what little nutritional value that might be found somewhere deep in this dish.

The reason I call this the $500+ meal, is that I had to buy this ticket a second time. And it cost four times as much the second time as it did the first time. Competition would be nice. Then these airlines in the hairy armpit places of the world would not have monopolies and be able to charge whatever they want for a given ticket, because more venders would create more options and more options would create an environment where one company would charge less or give more options for the money. Competition always results in lower prices eventually. They don't really know what that is here in Ukraine.

So as I was saying I had already bought this ticket once and now I had to buy again. And I mean HAD to. There is no other way back home. So when you are stuck somewhere because of visa problems, and the only option left to you is to go back the way you came, and there is only one flight going that way, well that places you at the complete and utter ruthlessness of the one selling the ticket. The way I look at it, I basically paid $524 for a very poorly made meal.