Monday, October 29, 2007

Locked in the parking garage!


It was the first time that we had seen each other in several years, and so Tim and I had spent several hours getting caught up on all that we had been going through recently. We were sitting in a dive off the walking square in Lorrach, Germany.

Since we both had had a long long day, we called it quits about 9:00 pm and headed back to the parking garage off the side street. We paid for our parking in the automated machine and then got into the car and headed toward the exit. Imagine our surprise as we turned the corner and discovered a heavy duty fence covering the exit!

“What are we going to do?“ Tim asked me. ”I have to catch the train at 5:50 am!“ he said. And I responded, ”Yes and they lock the doors to the dorm I am staying in at midnight.“ Tim asked me again, ”What ever are we going to do?“ It was the question of the moment.

I wasn’t overly worried . . . since Tim is one of the best troubleshooters I have ever met in my whole life, I was sure that we would resolve this eventually . . . and . . . I have been known to solve a few problems myself. Still, being locked inside a parking garage far from where you need to be, is no small challenge. I decided to walk around and see if the entrance was also fenced shut and it was. Then I told Tim that I was going to see if I could raise the fence in some way, and he said that he would try to find someone who might be able to help us.

I had no luck at all raising the fence . . . although I could lift it, I certainly could not get it high enough for the car to pass underneath. While I was practicing being Mr. Hercules, Tim had found another person who needed to escape the confines of the parking garage as urgently as we did, with the added bonus that she also spoke English (which is rather rare in this part of Germany). She approach the fence just as incredulously as we had, but then she burst out laughing.

The sign on the fence, which neither Tim nor I could read although we speak and read several languages between the two of us, read ”drive your car to the edge of the fence and it will automatically rise.“ We did and it did.

What a real picture of the spiritually lost. They are locked into a place they cannot escape from on their own, without outside help from people who understand what is really going on and who can read all the signs. We need to be the ones showing the captives the way out.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

That's a great story! I don't think I've every even thought I was locked in a parking garage. ;-) (and it makes a good illustration...)

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

This was a good illustration. Our pastor is now going through a series on the storms of life. What a dilemma or crisis causes usually in someone's life is awareness, in believers and non. Something is really wrong, something has to be done. In both cases, hopefully the answer is to look up. But the believer can choose to become bitter and not exercise faith, or find an answer and just walk away with their own skin saved, or finally, see that the crisis is a general one and so go back to help others out of the same dilemma, which at it's core is needing God. The parable of the Good Samaritan.

The thing is, we're all in this life together, but for a believer to go back and assist others to salvation takes voluntarily risking parking garage situations all the time in their own lives. It costs, as you well know, and that can be a hard decision.

Lv2Hike said...

Great story and great illustration!