Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I don't understand God and neither do you-

It has been more than a month since I have posted a blog on this site. Tragedy struck in September and I haven’t had the heart to write since. For those who may not know, we are building a significant building which will house both a local church and National Seminary. In September we had two workers who were buried when we had a deep trench collapse on top of them. These two friend’s deaths were powerfully troubling for me. Then it got worse; the police arrested two of my friends and placed them in prison as the responsible persons for the death of the other two friends. So two friends dead, two friends in prison (although one is currently out). This tragedy has forced me to review a number of assumptions that I have about God.

I have always assumed that God was there to protect me from harm. Now I am afraid to drive my car some days.
I have assumed that God was there to prevent tragedy from happening to believers. Now I am wondering when the next tragedy will occur.
I have assumed that God wanted His plans to go smoothly. Now I wonder why a project so important, can be in such a precarious situation.
I have assumed that God wished for love and mercy to rule the earth. Now I worry about the two small boys without a father.
I have assumed that God’s highest goal was me and my concerns. Now I understand that I don’t really understand God at all.

What happens when your child is raped, or a young father is killed, or when a project that could change a whole country is endangered? What happens when tragedy strikes, death comes early, evil occurs? Does anyone know where the love of God goes . . .? Like I said, I don’t really understand God at all, and this has made me question many of my previously rock-solid convictions about God. On the other hand, where else do we turn? Who can rescue us us? And isn’t that what all this is about . . . that we all need to be rescued, yet sometimes He doesn’t? And that damned “why” question keeps popping up.

So I don’t have any answers for you, and I almost never can answer the why question, but through these events in life, one will either stop believing entirely, or have a permanently damaged faith, or grow stronger faith. I have no idea which one of the three I will end up with, but this one thing I know for sure, I don’t understand God, but hopefully, He understands me.

6 comments:

porter said...

Seems like a breath of fresh air...all the questioning!

Julie said...

I had heard about this tragedy and have been praying for all those affected by it, including you. I've had my own share of "whys" over the years but nothing like this. I pray that God will minister His love, comfort and peace in this situation, and that He will help you to trust Him even though you don't have answers to the why questions.

Corey said...

Thanks for posting this. God bless.

Bernie said...

David,
You're right. We don't have a clue. None of us. It's difficult (no...flat out hard)at times to trust Wisdom we don't understand. Standing with you and praying that your faith will hold.

Bernie

pastorboy said...

In the midst of tragedy, it is so hard to trust that God is sovreign and that God is Good.

Praying that you can rest in His goodness. Thanks for posting this

Unknown said...

Sometimes God just doesn't make sense man! He makes perfect sense to Himself thankfully and these things serve His purposes--which don't always add up in our perspective. Just know we are praying for you. Thanks for the honest comments. They are refreshing in a sea of pat "christian" answers. Blessings