Wednesday, August 15, 2007

my spiritual stomach

This great phrase was used by Dragan, a new believer in the International Church. During the month of August, we have cancelled all formal church services, and instead are having Sunday Dinners together. We are knitting together the body of Christ in fellowship. And it is working out great.

So this week Dragan and his girlfriend were on the schedule to be at our house for Sunday Dinner. I called him up and invited them over for Sunday, and unfortunately, he and his girl were leaving town for holidays, and that is when he told me how torn he was, about whether to come to our home or to go on vacation. He said, “David, my spiritual stomach is hungry!” What a great statement.

I find that my spiritual stomach is not always hungry for God and His children. I find that I can easily take for granted all the scriptures and fellowship that we have, and become spiritually obese.

Dragan encouraged me much with his heartfelt statement, and I suddenly found that I wanted to be with him more too! Please pray for your new brother in Christ, as his father died Sunday afternoon and was buried on Monday. This was completely unexpected, and Dragan’s heart is filled with pain. But may he never lose his spiritual hunger I pray.

2 comments:

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

I think it is so absolutely key to be around new believers and those who are on the path but are still learning and trying to understand. First of all, they take nothing for granted and are really seeking. Secondly, we are reminded how great God is and how wonderful our own salvation. I love being involved in prison and recovery ministries for this reason.

Dadrick said...

Spiritual obesity, what a phrase!! Like physical obesity a large contributing factor is inactivity (laziness) we tend to look for easy answers instead of taking on new challenges. And like it physical cousin the spirit can develop a lethargy that is self defeating. Kids have an abundance of energy and can raise your activity level by association; I have chosen to boost my spiritual energy by taking on a short-term mission where I hope to meet some new believers like Dragan.

Thanks Dr.D for all you do.