Friday, August 24, 2007

The deaths of a thousand goodbyes


The first time we did this, she was only 7 years old, a second grader at boarding school. We gathered as a family of five in a dark corner of a dirty airport in Rostov-na-danu Russia, and we put Heidi on an airplane and watched her leave us.

That was the flash-back in my mind as I drove home from the airport in Skopje this morning, having put the very same girl an another airplane in a different country and watched her leave us. Oh yes, she is a 19 year old college sophomore now, but it still makes me die a little inside every time we go through this. In 36 hours I will have to do the same with Jake as he heads out for his senior year at boarding school.

These little deaths have a cumulative affect. My soul shrinks each time. My care and concern for people here diminishes. My desire to stay here falls. My sense of powerlessness to protect my children grows. My feeling of isolation from them seems to overwhelm me. My weakness is evident for all to see. If not for the mercy of God, all would be lost.

Somebody out there must be praying for me today.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, David, with tears...

Dadrick said...

My heart and prayers are with you. 10 annual school year seperations from my oldest 3 kids (because of divorce) tore at me each time they left. But, even before I believed God watched over them and built a stronger relationship with me and him in each of them.

Patricia said...

Each time is as hard as the first, isn't it? We're with you there.

wendy said...

Just prayed for you and your family to somehow find comfort in these painful separations.