Monday, September 02, 2019

Foggy mornings

We are spending the weekend on the lake, at an AirB&B and this morning it was so foggy. The air temperature was so much higher than the water temperature, that there was a solid wall of airborne moisture surrounding the lake, the house, the woods, everywhere. And here in rural Virginia, I discovered that these country drivers don’t use their headlights at all in the fog. I almost hit a couple of them!

Fog. Fog is a terrible distraction. This morning was so foggy. It obscured everything. It made my morning bicycle ride down right dangerous. It makes it so difficult to see clearly. It requires warning lights. Flashing lights are barely enough! My biking glasses completely fogged up and I had to ride without them. The moisture was so heavy in the air that helmet become completely wet on the outside and was dripping water in my eyes! My clothes were soaked with air moisture. It was a wet thick heavy distracting dangerous ride. My probability of getting killed or hit and injured was likely 10 times higher than normal, and its pretty high all the time.

All because of fog. All the same metaphors apply in leadership and development. The fog is not moisture in the air, but rather obscure business dealings, problems, employee retention, the VUCA world, volatile currency markets, trade agreements, shifting markets, and unexpected consequences of executive decisions, staff changes, and generally an unlimited amount of other challenges can be your fog. 

Take precautions, all that you can that doesn’t require a debilitating amount of effort. Stay extra vigilant when things are foggy. Have a clear purpose and destination and let it drive you forward steady and carefully, but as my friend Dr Anderson says, “Go and make!”