Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Doing the hardest things

Doing the hardest things

Lots of advice says do the most difficult thing first in the day, to get it accomplished and out of the way. It's the "eat your vegetables first" way of thinking. Well I have long known that I am a "eat your dessert first" kind of guy, so this kind of thinking and approach is not easy for me to do. I have discovered that it is difficult for many of my clients to do also.

It's really hard to have objective clarity about the next correct course of action in many situations. And even when I know what I should do, there are often many emotional non-logical reasons why I don't want to do it even though I know I should. If you never face these emotional quagmires, then you likely are not still fully human.

I was lying in bed, mentally reviewing the last several days, and there was a clear course of action that I should try, even though it may have failed, but an attempt was necessary on a number of levels in order to have integrity in the relationship at the end of the day. But there was all this messy emotional shit obfuscating my will to act and do the right thing.

Not only that, as is often the case, there was a very short window of opportunity, which meant I need to act quickly, or the opportunity was going to pass. So not only am I doing the emotional quicksand dance in my head, but I also have a ticking clock clanging in there! Opportunities don't generally sit around for weeks and weeks at a time. They come and go quickly.

Wisely I mentally gave myself a vicious kick that almost knocked me out of bed, and pushed all the messy emotional stuff to the mental corner, and took action . . . probably mere seconds before my opportunity vanished. I need to succeed more like this one. Too often I fail to act, or hesitate so long, opportunity lost. These are the hardest things to pull the trigger on.