Wednesday, December 03, 2008

BBQ GA style

There are many cultural ways to eat, not to mention a million different cultural foods. In Russia the thing was peroshkies, and in Macedonia it is Ajvar or Lutenitsa. The South is no exception, neither in culinary arrogance nor in specialties. One of the local favorite haunts is Zebs.




You would not be impressed with the decor. It is the utmost in utilitarianism. It is a celebration in Southern simplicity. A worship service of minimalism - the Brinks would love it. It is the ultimate no frills no chills design.



But the food is divine, in a good ole boy, country boy sorta way. It is plain eating done well. Tender, spicy and filling (the three main roles of food in this part of the world) and frankly it is a one of a kind experience to go and have BBQ at Zebs. You have to have an adventuresome spirit to embrace the experience :-)

Here is a photo of my meal . . .
























That is BBQ pork, or "pulled pork" as they would say up in PA where I live at the moment, cole slaw, and Brunswick stew (a Southeastern delicacy, which is a thick vegetable-meat stew). While I will admit it is not much to look at, the taste is top-notch, kinda like most American's who look at Macedonian Avjar think it looks awful, but once sampled, never find anything quite as satisfying.

So on this trip to see my folks, my dad treated us today to this great local piece of culture and cuisine. I am still savoring the experience. Jesus is the same though; He is an unrepeatable flavor, an irreplaceable taste, and unforgettable experience and contextualized piece of heaven to the senses. As He well should be. Jesus is uuuummmmmm.

2 comments:

Sue O. (aka Joannie, SS) said...

How terribly unfortunate that we are guilty of making our Savior so bland in world's eyes sometimes. I realized that over my vacation-for me He's every "ahhh" moment, and I pray that anything I create might reflect that "unrepeatable flavor" in a visual context manifested through the Holy Spirit's unique leading.

Patricia said...

looks worth visiting the South for! :)