Wednesday, June 04, 2008

A New Start

New starts are hard. At my age and with my temperament new starts seem terribly threatening. But life with the living requires new starts. Even if you go kicking and screaming.

Today one of my very best friends encouraged me to start blogging again. And she said it in such a way that it made sense and gave me hope that more good than harm could come from it, so here we go . . ..

In an hour I will walk outside, get in my car for the last time, pick up my ever-social wife in the center, turn the car toward the airport, check-in my tons of luggage, and fly away from our third term overseas.

New starts are almost always tied to new endings. This end is one of those that cycle around every four years for us and is almost unbearably painful and difficult. How do you put into words the sum total of your relationships? The internet is far too small a medium to handle the immensity and weight of such significance.

Of course the new start has its ups as well. Re-unitied with all our children, son’s graduation from High School, living all together for the first time in five years, fishing in pristine waters with another best friend, motorcycles, some rest and restoration of my soul.

But today is about pain. The pain of separation, of not knowing if/when we will see one another again, who ever will be that honest and truthful with me in caring concern?, an end to the richest and most comfortable being that I have experienced in decades, not being judged for who I am, . . . good friends are in short supply and high demand, and are the richest currency of life.

Heaven simply may be the contentment of having all these friends in the same place and never having separations ever again. New starts and new endings are hard (I can think of several choice choice words in a number of languages more descriptive than hard, but I will let this one stand today).

You know, my friend was right as usual . . . I needed to start blogging again, and not allow the naysayers and whiners in this sometimes miserable world, win yet again.

4 comments:

Bernie said...

David,

Way to not let the whiners win. I am happy to see you back in the blogging world.

Great to hear your thoughts again. Keep it coming, and I look forward to more.

Bernie

Lv2Hike said...

Glad to see you back, D, sharing your thoughts. I always appreciate what you have to say. I'm praying for you and Brenda and the fam during this time of transition back to the US, and of course will be supporting you throughout the year. C. PS Happy graduation to your favorite son!

Jeff said...

Hey David, glad to see you back. All the best back in the US and in things to come. We love you bud.

Rebecca said...

I'm very glad to see you blogging again. As always, our prayers are with you during all the changes.

~Rebecca W.